Saturday, September 12, 2009

Cutter quilts I won't cut


Years ago (about 20) I picked this quilt up in a thrift store... I was attracted to it's tiny triangles which are about 1 1/4 inches on a side, and the pink and green which I absolutely love. It was labeled a cutter quilt, but I won't do that, I value and respect the workmanship of tiny triangles, hand piecing and hand quilting. It was never a museum quilt, but somehow it speaks to me. I really really want to make a copy of this someday.. perhaps soon! At first glance this quilt looks pretty random but when you really inspect it, you would find that it was planned out perfectly. It would be easy to copy but time consuming... I think I should do it! Twenty years of wanting to is enough isn't it? I think the printed fabrics are 30s or 40s, and the pink, green and white are solids. That too is my cup of tea, combining prints and solids in antique reproductions. I hope you appreciate this as much as I do. Someone added satin blanket binding to the top and bottom and there are some holes, but for five dollars, it's a real charmer. When I bought this I did all hand piecing, but now, I'll have to machine piece. I'm over the hand piecing! ha!

4 comments:

  1. The quilt is lovely. That's quite an undertaking to reproduce it. I've not seen another quilt like it. It would look great in scraps too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree totally, who would cut it up???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my word ! There's no way.....thank you for saving that quilt !
    Oh........... !

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's absolutely gorgeous! I wouldn't have cut it either! It looks like making a copy would be great fun!

    ReplyDelete